With Winter Break fast approaching, it is imperative to prepare buildings for days of vacancy. Save money on utilities and potential maintenance by completing the following steps:
- Turn down building thermostats to 58 degrees Fahrenheit to save on heating bills, while preventing pipes from freezing.
- Turn off all lights and electronics.
- Remove all trash to avoid molds, insects and odors.
- Properly store all lunchroom food to prevent molding, insects and odors
- Clean out teachers’ lounge refrigerators (if applicable).
- Check security cameras to ensure they work.
- Charge AEDs and replace smoke detector batteries.
- Take this time to complete tasks that cannot be done while students are in school (run IT diagnostics on hardware, exterminate/fumigate, etc.).